The ASNE Opinion Journalism committee strives to serve those who practice, supervise, study, or seriously aspire to doing fact-based commentary journalism.
The Masthead 2017
- Help diversity in journalism education
- American journalism has a mixed record, at best, for diversity of news-editorial staffs. The ASNE diversity survey and the Barry Bingham Sr. Fellowship are two ongoing efforts at improvement.
- Flashbacks: Confederate symbolism and more
- There seems to be no end of disagreement about flags and memorials with intensely emotional opposite meanings to the two sides of the issue.
- Opinionizers' early convention plan
- The Opinion Journalism Committee in ASNE has been working on fall convention programming specific to punditry and letters, and potentially of interest to many other editors.
- Editing cartoons?
- What some editors said about this concept.
- Headlines some would like to see
- Annual tradition at some newspapers can be fun, help set an editorial agenda, provide material in slow, shorter-staffed holiday weeks. With visual examples.
- Help the sun shine locally this year
- There’s plenty of red meat to go after in the nation’s capital, but the obvious target is not always the best target. This Sunshine Week, consider focusing on local and state governments.
- Letters to editors zoom – in number and testiness
- If letters to the editor can be used as a temperature gauge on public opinion, readers across the country are running a fever.
All Masthead 2017 articles, new and old, can be found here.