Rules and Procedures
Please follow the rules and procedures below carefully to ensure that your entry is accepted. Please note there are some changes in the rules and procedures this year. Entries that do not conform to these rules may be disqualified. In addition, be sure to follow the specific requirements for each category found in the category descriptions.
Eligibility: All websites, news services and newspapers in the United States are eligible to enter. Outside the United States, news organizations that are headed by an active member of ASNE are also eligible.
- Except for the Batten Medal, which covers a three-year period, all entries must have been published originally — whether in print or online — in 2016. For the Batten Medal, all pieces submitted must have been published between Jan. 1, 2014, and Dec. 31, 2016.
- News services must submit a published version of the entry.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- The work of both employees and freelance contributors is eligible.
- A ranking editor of the organization must approve the entry. A login and password will be assigned to each organization and given to the editor.
Team Entries: Categories that accept team entries are Online Storytelling, Nondeadline Writing, Distinguished Writing on Diversity, Local Accountability Reporting, Community Service Photojournalism and Breaking News Writing. All other categories accept only work by an individual.
No Multiple Entries: A news organization can submit only one entry in each of the nine categories.
In addition, the work of an individual cannot be entered in more than one category, with two exceptions: 1) A journalist nominated as part of a team award can also be nominated in an individual category. 2) A nominee for the Batten Medal may also be entered in another category. However, an individual will only be selected as a winner in one category.
Reprint Rights: Reprint rights are granted to ASNE by virtue of entry in this contest.
Entry Format: Each entry submitted for judging must be uploaded as follows: one PDF file that contains the nominating letter and then another PDF file that contains the entire entry. You may submit multiple PDFs if the entry is large. Each article must include its published date and be formatted in either a one- or two-column format for readability. A sidebar can be submitted as a separate article to be counted toward the maximum articles allowed per category. If the articles are part of a series, only submit the articles that will be judged up to the maximum allowed per category. The articles can be prefaced with the original play of the articles. If it is a series, the articles submitted for judging in the one- or two-column format as required in the PDF format for ease of judging.
Entries can also be entered via a URL but must include the articles submitted for judging in the one- or two-column format as required in the PDF format for ease of judging. If there is a paywall, include the instructions for access at the end of the nominating letter. The URL needs to be available as a link on the ASNE website if it is a winning entry.
Enter Online: Nomination letters and submission of entries must be completed online. Click on ASNE Awards contest and begin the process by clicking on Register to setup one account for each organizatin. If you have questions, please contact ASNE Communications Coordinator Jiyoung Won at email@example.com or 573-882-2430.
Fees: There is a nonrefundable handling fee for each nomination entered in the competition:
- News services and daily or weekly newspapers with 100,000 circulation or more: $75/category
- Online-only news organizations and daily or weekly newspapers with less than 100,000 circulation: $40/category
Questions: Contact ASNE Communications Coordinator Jiyoung Won at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-882-2430.