The ASNE Opinion Journalism committee strives to serve those who practice, supervise, study, or seriously aspire to doing fact-based commentary journalism.
The Masthead 2017
- Editor’s Note: Professionalism with a purpose
- Passing the torch after nearly six eventful years, and a previous editor’s comment
- Stats Show the Divide Between Editors, Cartoonists and Readers
- Cagle says he loves editors, but wishes they all would see that cartoonists are not ‘bomb-throwers or clowns.’
- 6 things your editorial cartoonist wishes you knew
- Cross-section of producers share ideas for making better decisions about getting and using opinion art
- EdWrite Recap: Boards of Contributors
- Editorial page editors share views on dealing with stables of regular op-ed writers or local columnists
- From the archives: Some saw it coming…
- Links to 34 possibly prescient pieces in recent years, including rebel symbols, climate, vetting letters, online comment, ending endorsements, refugees
- The real people behind U.S. foreign policy
- State Department briefings useful, sometimes exciting, for many years; now open to all in ASNE for 11/11/17
- Congratulations to Bingham fellow Gerald Jordan
- Annual stipend for notable contribution to J-education of minorities originated decades ago with editorial writers
- Help diversity in journalism education
- American journalism has a mixed record, at best, for diversity of news-editorial staffs. The ASNE diversity survey and the Barry Bingham Sr. Fellowship are two ongoing efforts at improvement.
- Flashbacks: Confederate symbolism and more
- There seems to be no end of disagreement about flags and memorials with intensely emotional opposite meanings to the two sides of the issue.
- Opinionizers' early convention plan
- The Opinion Journalism Committee in ASNE has been working on fall convention programming specific to punditry and letters, and potentially of interest to many other editors.
All Masthead 2017 articles, new and old, can be found here.